Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Seduction Quest - Pending demo

A demo was aimed for last week, but there were a few setbacks for good and bad reasons. 

I'm not so good with time management, and wasted a lot of time doing other stuff.  Other thing I learned was that my skills at estimating how long a coding portion should take isn't that accurate, especially when it's coding something I'm not familiar with. 

Alright so you see, for the main menu I was experimenting with a title layout since the feel of SQ will be very ascii based, and I wanted to have ascii art as the main title image.  Yea, yea, and?  I started to go through old paintings (like 100-200 years ago, that are public domain) and convert them into ascii.  At first, I had to convert each line into strings manually, which was long and tedious.  Then after trying a few, I decided wouldn't it be cool to have an ascii image for each type of creature, but to do so many different images would have to be converted into ascii.  The manual way of doing it was too long, so I needed to experiment with file manipulation.   (and learn a few gimp tutorials!)

Lo and behold!    

After some experimenting, I got it to work.  The title screen looked awesome.  I even found a few kick-ass fonts to go with the theme for the menu options and the title font.  But something was amiss.  When you load the program, it just shows the title screen instantly.  No special affects, no animations, nothing.  Sooooo that was a little too bland for my taste.  My next goal was to scramble the ascii title image, so that the ascii characters slowly fade into view at random.  I'm still working on it, but I'm modifying a shuffle algorithm to get it work.  Almost have it down, but not quite.

Things that are finished,

Health System
Title Menu
Terrain Generation
Ascii art converter (converts ascii images into strings for love)

What's left,

Shuffle Algorithm (currently working on)
UI
Basic AI
1-3 Different Enemies
Combat System
Music?  (maybe, maybe not)   

No comments:

Post a Comment